Librarians' work from mundane to special to extraordinary.

RSS

Oh, My Beautiful Stressful Life


I have heard several people say, even some librarians themselves, that library work is less stressful. I beg to disagree. :)

In my case, it is. (Well, in a different way may be).
What are my stressors?
  • a noisy group of students
  • a loudmouth student
  • beeping cellphones everywhere
  • some library patrons talking on the phone loud enough for you to hear what's exactly they're talking about

In short, making library patrons "Observe Silence" stresses me. It gets into my head sometimes. However, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who's experiencing this dilemma. I bet many are. Actually, I have been talking to a librarian-friend of mine who confessed to be on the same boat as I am.

When it gets noisy, my 'analytical and critical thinking skills' will be in action. Do I shout at them? Do I angrily bark at them? Should I rather say Shhhhh? or Was it best to ignore them completely and pretend that everything is quiet and peaceful? Whew!

For over three years, this happens almost every single day-- that I was forced to learn how to tackle this 'stressful' part of my job.

Here's the trick that I've learned so far:

Say "Quiet please' with firmness and with a sincere Smile.
Students wouldn't really feel threatened but rather 'reminded' to be quiet.

If that does not work -- Approach them and tell them to "Tone down please. Other students are studying in the room."
(Just in case they think they are not the noisy ones.) This may work for a while. :)

It still does not work?
Remind them to let other students enjoy the right to have a quiet place to study. (This often works!)

AND;

Allow them to be noisy sometimes. I do this so that when it's time for them to 'shut up' - they won't feel totally restricted or deprived of talking. I'm pretty sure they'll appreciate this. It works for me. When they're but only themselves and no else seem to be studying - permit them to talk in their normal talking voice. You can even grab this chance to get to know them.

Love people more than procedure. That's my 'battlecry' everyday. The students and faculty are the library's customers. They are probably not always right but every time I decide to smile than to sneer over something that usually peeves me, I know I win them over and encourage them to come back to the library again. Every library's goal is to make customers come to the door. And you know what? They often do! And they would be welcomed again with a smile. If they smile back, that's a big plus! That makes my day stressfully beautiful.

Be inspired.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: